- What's on
- Café & Bar
- Support Q
- Visit Q
- About Us
MATCHBOX // Q Theatre development programme
Every year Q Theatre co-presents a season of works through its creative development programme, MATCHBOX.
(See what's on in the 2016 MATCHBOX Season)
Created in 2012 as a capacity building programme under the name ‘Q Presents’; MATCHBOX is a response to the large number of emerging and professional artists wanting to present at Q. They have strong artistic content and training but need practical support to bring their ideas to life on our stages.
Through MATCHBOX Q aims to:
- Catapult artists and companies to grow their work, nurture new working relationships and build their capability to deepen relationships with audiences.
- Connect audiences with innovative and exciting creative makers.
- Invest in the future of Auckland’s performing arts industry.
- Create a diverse and rich programme of work for Auckland audiences.
We invest in companies that push the boundaries of their art form, use our transformative venue to its fullest, or deliver an arts experience to an audience in an experimental or unique way.
Q recognises MATCHBOX artists and companies as those who will build towards work on bigger scales in Auckland, nationally and internationally.
MATCHBOX is proudly supported by Arts Regional Trust
HOW EACH SEASON IS PROGRAMMED
MATCHBOX is a contestable programme that involves a three stage review process.
STAGE 1: APPLICATION
Applicants submit an Expression of Interest form. These are assessed by a selection panel from Q and industry representatives, and a short list is created.
STAGE 2: PITCH
30 minute pitches provide an opportunity for applicants to present any aspect of the work, followed by a Q&A session with the selection panel.
STAGE 3: SELECTION
Selection is based on the following:
- The ability and capacity of the company to deliver a successful season of performance
- The openness of the people involved to collaborate with Q and external supporters and mentors.
- Clarity of the project’s conceptual vision.
- Funding plan and ability to budget accordingly.
- Understanding of audience development, marketing and publicity.
- A balance of programme i.e. making sure Q is including diversity of work in the MATCHBOX series
- Design concept and use of the physical space.
- Do we think there is an audience for the work?
- Do we want to see the work in its final presentation?
HOW Q SUPPORTS MATCHBOX COMPANIES
MATCHBOX is centred on the successful delivery of a public season of work.
In partnership, Q and the presenting companies share both the financial risk and reward during the season.
Costs and support from Q in each MATCHBOX season include:
- Venue hire towards a season in Loft
- Rehearsal space
- Venue technician and crew
- Lighting & Sound Equipment
- Basic Consumables e.g. Gaffer Tape
- Financial contributions towards the individual production campaign
- Front of House requirements
- Tailored marketing support
- Audience development and assistance with publicity
EVERYTHING ANYONE EVER WANTED // Jun 21 – 25
Company: Black Sheep Productions // Choreographic Direction: Natalie Maria Clark // Performers & Creative Collaboration: Sofia McIntyre, Benjamin Mitchell, Emmanuel Reynaud, Rosa Strati // Assistant Producer: Chloe Klein // Design: Sean Kelly a.k.a. Seth Frightening, Ruby Reihana-Wilson, Christopher Stratton
LEILANI // Aug 4 - 13
Company: Mahuika Theatre Company // Artistic Direction: Pedro Ilgenfritz // Producer: Gracie-Rose Kay // Performance: Aymee Karaitiana, Irasa Siave & Natasha Daniel // Design: Kate Lang, Caitlin Walters
DON JUAN // Oct 27 - Nov 12
Company: A Slightly Isolated Dog
THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MY FRIEND, JACK HARTNETT // Jul 24 – Aug 8
Company: Bullet Heart Club // Script: Rochelle Bright // Music & Lyrics: Abraham Kunin // Director: Conrad Newport // Performance: Todd Emerson // Band: Abraham Kunin, Leon Radojkovic & Alex Freer // Design: Daniel Williams, Jane Hakaraia, Tom Anderson
NOT PSYCHO // Aug 14 - 29
Company: Fractious Tash // Writer & Driector: Benjamin Henson // Performance: Edwin Beats, Julia Croft, Virginia Frankovich, Kevin Keys, Donogh Rees, Bryony Skillington // Design: Christine Urquhart, Rachel Marlow, Thomas Press
ALL YOUR WANTS AND NEEDS FULFILLED FOREVER // Sept 9 -19
Company: The Playground Collective // Director: Robin Kerr // Writer: Eli Kent // Producer: Molly O’Shea // Performance: Eli Kent, Joel Baxendale, Victoria Abbott, Hamish Parkinson // Design: Sam Trubridge, Marcus McShane // Music: Gareth Hobbs.
- DAFFODILS // Mar 13 – 29
Company: Bullet Heart Club // Writer: Rochelle Bright // Remixes: Stephanie Brown (LIPS), Abraham Kunin // Director: Dena Kennedy // Performance: Todd Emerson, Colleen Davis, Stephanie Brown (LIPS), Abraham Kunin, Fen Ikner // Design: Jane Hakaraia // Creative Producer: Kitan Petovski
- THE WILDERNESS // Jun 10-13
Company: Blackbird Ensemble // Director: Claire Cowan // Design: Brad Gledhill // Stage Manager: Annabel Harrison
- WHEEL OF EXPERIENCE // Sept 9 - 13
Company: A Hundred Trees Theatre // Creative and performance team: David Ward, Peter Daubé, Dave Khan
- ONE DAY MOKO // Nov 5 - 15
Company: Portable Union // Performance: Tim Carlsen // Director: Leo Gene Peters // Design: Jane Hakaraia
- TITUS // May 29 – Jun 8
Company: Fractious Tash // Cast: Paul Lewis, Cole Jenkins, James Roque, Eli Matthewson, Jason Hodzelmans, Jason Wu, David Sutherl // Director: Ben Henson // Design: Michael Forkert, Jin Shin, Madison-Leigh Wright, Kristen Sorrenson, Suzanne Sturrock, Jade Berg
- ELEMENTAL // May 30 - 31
Company: Strike Percussion // Performance: Murray Hickman Tim Whitta Leni Sulusi Takumi Motokawa Tom Scrase // Music: Gareth Farr // Directors: Willem Wassenaar, Angela Green // Design: Ollivier Ballester, Van Locker, Glenn Ashworth
- THE PITCHFORK DISNEY // Jun 20 - 29 Jun
Company: The Moving Theatre Company // Performance: Todd Emerson, Michelle Blundell, Leon Wadham, Sam Snedden // Director: Sophie Roberts // Producer: Martyn Wood // Design: Daniel Williams, Jennifer Lal, Sean Lynch, Jaime Robertson
- STANDSTILL // May 30 - Jun 8
Company: Rebel Alliance // Performance: Andi Crown, Kevin Keys, Josephine Stewart Tewhiu // Director: Anders Falstie-Jensen // Design: Rob McDonald
- DROWNING IN VERONICA LAKE // Aug 21 - 31
Company: Flaxworks // Writer: Phil Ormsby // Performance: Alex Ellis // Director: Simon Coleman // Design: Sara Talor, Elizabeth -Whiting, Nik Janiurek
- MICHAEL JAMES MANAIA // Sept 5 – 15
Company: Taki Rua Productions // Performance: Te Kohe Tuhaka // Writer: John Broughton // Director: Nathaniel Lees // Design: Maaka McGregor, Lisa Maule, Daniel Williams
Daffodils (A Play With Songs) produced by Bullet Heart Club, was part of Q’s Development Programme in 2014.
Supported intensively by the Q team, Daffodils sold 92% of its box office, went on to win the following accolades:
- WINNER - AUCKLAND THEATRE AWARD, 2014
- BEST DEBUT - METRO NZ, 2014
- BEST PLAY NOMINATION – Script Writers Award NZ, 2014
Daffodils toured across 12 cities in New Zealand in 2015, including six international arts festivals. The show has returned to Q, sold-out three times in Auckland and launched it's international tours with seasons in Australia and the UK in 2016.
"...a work of genius...Daffodils should play all over the country. It should play all over the world. It resonates so strongly as a piece of our own mixed-up, precious culture, it should be our new national flag." (Simon Wilson, Metro)
List of all shows:
Or search for a show: